St David's Cathedral
St. Davids Cathedral, St. Davids, Pembrokeshire © Crown copyright (2013) Visit Wales
St David’s Cathedral in the county of Pembrokeshire is of special interest to visitors and native Welsh people being the site where Saint David founded a monastic community which would later transform into the holy site we see today.
It was in 1115 that Bishop Bernard (The Bishop of St David’s) began the construction of the cathedral, and in 1123 the site was granted Papal Privileges’, making it a centre of pilgrimage. This obviously increased the status and as with all pilgrimage sites would bring in much needed income and by 1131 the new cathedral was completed and consecrated by Bishop Bernard.
The building was plagued by problems with the collapse of the new tower in 1220 and earthquake damage several years later. Over the years various bishops have added to the building, making it ever more impressive, but with the dissolution of the monarchy under Cromwell the Cathedral was attacked by his troops and all most totally destroyed.
It would be around 150 years before work would start on the reconstruction of the west front and with other work being undertaken over the years.
Copyright © Croeso Net 1998 -